Pinot Gris

Blue Mountain 2017 Pinot Gris

David Lawson - www.winealign.com (September 2018)

This is a fairly subtle, quiet and complex pinot gris - but so nicely made and balanced with mild aromas of peach, fresh herbs, light toast and vague minerality. It is medium bodied, slightly creamy yet firm, dry and slightly tart-edged on the finish. There is some spice as well, from partial ageing in wood for six months. All going to very good length. Slightly bitter on the finish. Very good value. Tasted Sept 2018.   90 Points

Michael Godel - www.winealign.com (September 2018)

The 2017 is a mildly spiced, up the apples and pears climb into a lemon-lime citrus bed with plenty of mid-palate texture. It's a subtle pinot gris, three-tiered from its lees rest in housings of stainless steel, oak barrels and foudres. All three contribute to this lovely mouthfeel and preservation of fruit, albeit in three very different ways. To say this is amenable stuff would be a great understatement. There is literally no reason, time of day or meal not to make its acquaintance. Drink 2018-2020. Tasted September 2018. 90 Points.

John Schreiner - johnschreiner.blogspot.ca (September 2018)

The grapes (from 31-year-old vines) were whole cluster pressed. The fermentation was 39% in stainless steel; the remainder was fermented in a combination of oak (foudres, barrels and casks) and aged six months on the lees. The wine begins with aromas of pear and herbs. The wine has a rich texture on the palate, with flavours of pear and cantaloupe and a hint of anise on the lingering finish. 92.


Blue Mountain 2016 Pinot Gris

 

John Schreiner - johnschreiner.blogspot.ca (December 2017)

This complex white wine is made with fruit from 30-year-old vines. Forty percent was fermented and aged for eight months in French oak (new and used). The remainder was fermented and aged in stainless steel. The two lots were blended in June 2017. The result is an elegant and complex white, with aromas and flavours of citrus, pear and apple. It is crisp and dry, with a hint of anise on the finish. 90

Treve Ring - www.gismondionwine.com (November 2017)

A blend of two French clones and thirty-year-old vines, this was native fermented and whole cluster pressed 60/40 into stainless / wood, where it aged for eight months (the wood portion aged sur lie). Big, polished and spiced, with creamy orange blossom, fleshy pear and a firm bracing frame. This is a big, though finessed, wine, still very much in youth, and will settle and own its shape with another year in bottle. One of BC's benchmark gris, yet again. Outstanding value. 90 points.

David Lawrason - www.winealign.com (October 2017)

This is estate-grown pinot gris fermented 40% in new to three year old French oak. It is a bit "oakier" than expected a sprinkle of spice on the nose, plus dried herbs and quite ripe, almost tropical banana fruit. It is medium weight, quite firm and solid with mouthwatering acidity, a sense of minerality, again the wood spice and lemon flavours having good intensity. The length is excellent. I would age it a year. Tasted October 2017

Beppi Crosariol - www.globeandmail.com (October 2017)

Depth and finesse, with a fleshy texture and bright finish. No heavy residual sugar or conspicuous oak here. This exhibits classic Blue Mountain elegance, with pear, apple and citrus fruit joined by a flinty-smoky overtone. A minority of the wine was fermented and aged in oak, with most of the juice vinified in stainless steel to preserve freshness. Way better than many nearby Oregon pinot grises costing twice the price. Available direct from the winery.  92 points.


Blue Mountain 2015 Pinot Gris

 

Treve Ring - www.gismondionwine.com (March 2017)

From the cellar. Half bottle. Showing quite maturely already, with heady honeycomb, dried quince, nut, wild herbs and ample lees cushioning the medium bodied palate. Acidity is a tight, narrow quiver through the lengthy finish. The forty percent barrel fermentation has paid off, with the structure and depth here able to hang for years ahead still. Great to see you can cellar this highly affordable pinot gris, allowing the grape to be seen and enjoyed through an entirely different lens.

Liam Carrier - www.iconscores.blogspot.ca (January 2017)

An excellent, partially oaked Pinot Gris, both refreshing and rich with a nice balance between its crisp, orchard fruit characters and acidity and its creamy texture endowed with savoury notes of herbs, spice, brioche and vanilla bean. Deleightfully complex, especially for the price. #5 on List of Top 20 Values of 2016. 90.

Natalie MacLean - www.nataliemaclean.com (January 2017)

Flavourful and viscous: this is no boring-beige Pinot Gris! Mouth-filling texture is what comes across most in this gorgeous white wine. The Pinot Gris is 60% fermented and aged in stainless steel, and the remaining 40% fermented and aged in two and three year old French oak barrels for 6 months. What a deft touch that wraps this package in richness. 92.

Anthony Gismondi - www.gismondionwine.com (January 2017)

In another league from most BC pinot gris, and from around the world for that matter. A ripe year has brought more orange and aromatics to the 2015. Texture and weight manages the bright orchard fruit notes flecked with tropical melons and pineapple. There’s just enough acidity and minerality to keep it all together. Normally this wine needs time but you can start drinking it now. Today the vines are 29 years old. Some 60 percent is wild fermented in stainless steel, and the remainder is fermented in new to 4th fill oak. Fine value. 89.

Treve Ring - www.gismondionwine.com (January 2017)

Two French clones of 29-year-old vines were whole cluster pressed, with 40 percent fermented and aged on the lees for seven months in three year old French oak and the remainder in stainless, racked from lees. The sum equals the parts: some crisp, tight, green apple and sour lemon fruit swirling with fuller, riper pear and green melon, all on a leesy base, to a sour finish. At this youthful stage, the elements are not in unison, though it should knit with another year or two. 88.

Jon Steeves - www.nataliemaclean.com (January 2017)

A crisp and fresh medium bodied gem. Loved the tight structure, high acidity, balanced medium fruit. Enjoyed the elegant stone fruit with citrus peel and wet stone minerality. Pairs well with fried calamari, snow crab, and drinking well on its own. Tasted Jan 2017. 89/100.

Bill Zacharkiw - www.winealign.com (December 2016)

Gorgeous aromatics. Beautifully textured wine. Fruit wavers between more tropical notes and orchard fruit. Finish has some decent freshness. Lengthy. Really good. Yet another example how Okanagan riffs Alsace so well. 3.5 Stars.

David Lawrason - www.winealign.com (December 2016)

Great value here. This is a very complete, complex pinot gris with classic aromas of peach, lemon, elderflower, a hint of anise and subtle mint. It's mid-weight, fleshy with fairly firm acidity, some warmth and a mineral finish. Loaded with fruit, and there is tension here as well. Slightly wet stone. The length is excellent. Tasted December 2016. 90.

John Szabo - www.winealign.com (December 2016)

fullish, rich, round, Alsatian style pinot gris, which is to say ripe and orange-scented, pear and honeydew melon, lychee, exotic and engaging, highly aromatic. The palate is fleshy and creamy but not overly soft, with a fine cut of underlying acids and generous flavour intensity. Very good to excellent length. This is fine wine, and very good value. Tasted December 2016. 89.


Blue Mountain 2014 Pinot Gris


Beppi Crosariol - www.globeandmail.com (October 2015)

On the heavier side of medium-bodied, this marvellously tuned pinot gris shows excellent midpalate weight and concentration, with tangerine and pear fruit, invigorating acid tension and a subtle, smoky-mineral quality on the long, tingly finish. A deftly blended cuvée that was mostly fermented and aged in stainless-steel tanks and 40-per-cent fermented and matured in oak. Brilliant. 92.

Daenna Van Mulligen - www.winescores.ca (September 2015)

Pristine, pretty, expressive. Good intensity on the nose with pretty aromas of honeysuckle and exotic citrus atop guava and crunchy orchard fruits. The palate echoes the nose, it is very expressive and zesty with excellent concentration. The finish is long and mouthwatering with a grapefruit-y linger. 90.
 

Liam Carrier - www.iconwines.ca (September 2015)

A beautifully crisp and effervesant Pinot Gris from Blue Mountain with a strong, citrus and mineral backbone supporting intense fruit flavours of Gala apple, white peach and Asian pear and a sursarrus of savoury notes, herbs, spice, brioche and vanilla bean. A delightfully complex and vibrant Pinot Gris to be enjoyed now or over the next 2 - 3 years. Drink now - 2018. 90.

 

Daenna Van Mulligen - www.winescores.ca & www.winediva.ca  (August 2015)

Pristine, pretty, expressive. Good intensity on the nose with pretty aromas of honeysuckle and exotic citrus atop guava and crunchy orchard fruits. The palate echoes the nose, it is very expressive and zesty with excellent concentration. The finish is long and mouthwatering with a grapefruit-y linger. 90.


Blue Mountain 2013 Pinot Gris

 

Tony Aspler - www.tonyaspler.com (April 2016)

Medium straw colour; minerally, peach and peach pit nose with oak notes; full-bodied, dry with a white peach and melon flavours enhanced by oak spice. 90.5.

Stuart Tobe - www.gismondionwine.com (April 2015)

Floral, grapefruit, earthy, spicy, pear aromas. Dry, fresh, juicy, slightly austere palate with slate, lemon, green apple skin, pear, ginger and lees flavours. Young, more reserved style that will benefit from some bottle age but good intensity for food. Give it another six months. 87.

Daenna Van Mulligen- winediva.ca (January 2015)

Bright, crisp, focused.
Expect fresh and bright notes of citrus, golden apples and crisp pears, spring flowers, honey and hints of Pinot's earthy undertones follow up. The palate is creamy and citrusy with spice and leesy flavours.
Solid and focused, not showy.      

John Schreiner - John Schreiner on wine (December 2014)

The style of this wine deviates slightly from the fruity, drink me now, style of most Okanagan Pinot Gris wines.  Forty percent was fermented and aged six months in French oak (new to four years old). The wine in barrels also was left in contact with the lees, but with minimum battonage. The other 60% was fermented and aged in stainless steel. The barrel portion gives the wine a rich texture. The wine has herbal and citrus aromas with a bready note from the lees contact. On the palate, there are flavours of pear and citrus. The finish is dry. This wine is built to age four to six years, developing even more complexity. 90.

David Lawrason - winealign.com (October 2014)

This is a bit youthful, but it is solid, structured and flavours run deep. Classic almost Alsatian pinot gris fruit here, with reserved dried peach, fresh fig, spice and fresh moss. Very complex. It's medium-full bodied, rich and firm with some heat on the finish. Great minerality. Excellent length. 92.

Michael Godel - winealign.com (October 2014)

The astucity is palpable, the innuendo more than just a suggestion. This silent but deadly Pinot Gris is quietly explosive, fruit shuddering beneath a wall of texture and grain. Aromatically speaking it gives very little of itself but in the mouth the feel is so broad and coating. This is one of those very special wines that must be tasted with prejudice to appreciate just how dramatic and evidenced it can be. The acidity is stony laminous, the juice squeezed of many an orange variety, from Mandarin to Moros Blood. The finish gets an accent in Pomello. Blue-chip value in B.C. PG. 91.

Liam Carrier - iconscores.ca (October 2014)

Some Okanagan Valley Pinot Gris are fermented and aged in oak barrels and others see no oak at all. Both styles can produce outstanding versions of BC's most planted white variety (2011 acreage report). Blue Mountain successfully combines the best of both worlds with 60% of the fruit fermented and aged in stainless steel and the remaining 40% in new-to-3 year old French oak. The blended wine brings together lively, citrus, apple, kiwi and white peach aromas and flavours with beautiful, rounded characters of orange blossom, wheat, vanilla, light spice and just a hint of warm brioche in the background. A lemon/lime acidic kick keeps the finish crisp and clean. A delightful Pinot Gris to be enjoyed now, or over the next 2-3 years. Drink now-2017. 90.


Blue Mountain 2012 Pinot Gris

 

Daenna Van Mulligen- winediva.ca & winescores.ca (March 2014)

Expect delicate pear notes, pomelo citrus, honey, spring blossoms and a hint of marzinpan on the nose. It has a lovely palate weight and almost oily texture. It boasts a pristine character, good focus, lively acidity and good persistence. It's a confident Pinot Gris, which is not trying to be showy, just correct and delicious. 90.

Natalie Maclean - nataliemaclean.com (February 2014)

Flavourful and viscous: this is no boring-beige Pinot Gris! Mouth-filling texture is what comes across most in this gorgeous white wine. The Pinot Gris is 60% fermented and aged in stainless steel, and the remaining 40% fermented and aged in two and three year old French oak barrels for 6 months. What a deft touch that wraps this package in richness. 91.

Anthony Gismondi - Gismondi on Wine (January 2014)

Pear, grapefruit, floral, green apple aromas. Dry, fresh, juicy, round palate with pink grapefruit, pear, green apple skin and lemon flavours. Citrusy style with a bit of bitterness on the finish. More grigio this time. 87.

John Szabo - WineAlign (December 2013)

Blue Mountain's 2012 pinot gris is a richly flavoured and layered example, with excellent length and depth all around. Partial barrel fementation (40% in two and three year old wood) lends a creamy, supple texture and delicate lactic and faintly caramelized fruit flavours, while acids are crisp and supportive of the ensemble. I'd leave this in the cellar for about a year to allow for the gentle astringency to soften and for flavours to develop more fully; this is a fine bottle and another solid argument for the suitability of the variety so the Okanagan Valley.

John Schreiner - John Schreiner on wine (November 2013)

This wine begins with the complex aroma of lees, pears and citrus fruits. On the rich palate, there are flavours of pears and apples with a lightly spicy finish. 91.

Christie Mavety
 
August 17, 2018 | Christie Mavety

Blue Mountain On The Road - Priorat, Spain and the i4C

Some thoughts on Spanish vineyards at 700m above sea level and the International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration  Continue »

Instagram Feed

Join us

Share or like Blue Mountain at the following social media sites for all of the latest updates.