Recipes & Food
Pan-Seared Scallops dusted with nuts and herbs
- 6 Jumbo Scallops for an appetizer / 10-12 Jumbo Scallops for a main
- 2 tbsps flavoured nuts: chili-cashews (bulk at (Safeway); child-lime peanuts or similar
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, stalks removed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsps olive or grape oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- A few salad leaves for garnish and a wedge of lemon
Crush the nuts or chop with the other ingredients in a small food processor. Mix the nuts with the chopped chives, tarragon and thyme in a small bowl.
Wash and pat dry the scallops, season with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and oil in a non-stick sauté pan over a high heat. When very hot and frothy, add the scallops and leave them to sear for for about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes. Carefully lift the scallop and if the surface has a nice caramelized colour, turn them over. Cook for just another minute until the scallops are opaque, springy but not quite firm.
Remove from the pan and dip both sides in the nut and herb mixture (or roll them to coat completely)
Serve immediately with a garnish of salad leaves and a wedge of lemon.